Know the Logic Behind Cement Variant Names
Why is Portland cement called so, because it is being manufactured in Portland? Why 53-grade cement is named so? Is it better than grade 43? These questions startle everyone who is not so familiar with the cement industry and for surely confuses them. These are cement variants, but unlike the variants of other products which are named as A, B or C, they are named as such because they derive their names from their application and not texture or place of origin. Click here to know more about it.
Relationship between application and cement variants name
- The not so Portland Cement: Portland cement was named so because it is similar to a building stone called Portland stone, which is quarried on the Isle of Portland in Portland, England.
- Cement and their Grades: The different grades of cement does not mean that one is superior to other or they belong to a particular grade in school like we all used to, but because they were named according to the purposes they fulfilled. For example, 33-grade cement is used in small constructions while 53-grade cement is used to build and strengthen the massive and huge building that is the heavy infrastructural projects. So there is no difference between 33-grade cement of Ultratech cement Dubai.
Colour does matter!
While the color may not be the major criteria for naming it is one of the criteria for naming the variants of cement.
- White Tavvo Portland cement: This is also known as White Cement and derives its name from its color. In the Portland cement quantities of clay and limestone are added which makes the latter whiter than the former and thus derives its name. So the white cement of Ultratech cement Dubai is as white as the white cement of any other company.
- Colored cement: This is to make sure that the users are not left with the option of choosing only white. The cement is available in many colors to match with interiors of the designer houses nowadays. Adding a particular mineral pigment to the cement gives it a particular color.
Cement and its’ Types.
The most commonly used cement is the Portland cement and is further classified into various types. Some of them are:
- Type 1: The normal Portland cement is called the type 1 cement, which is used for general construction purpose.
- Type 2: This is used for constructing underwater structures, and there are still many types.
The nomenclature of cement variants is an interesting process, and you can use this to identify the different types of cement that seem to have various applications.